Being a treatise on VSF and Mars, and on 19th Century colonial warfare in general

(with a nod towards Messrs Gilbert and Sullivan, lest I take myself too seriously)

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Gashants II

I won't bore you with the ugly details, so no photos this time.  Suffice to say that the latest conversion attempt looks like a leprous, multiple-amputee paralympian Octosaur wearing granddad-like baggy trousers*.

Not pretty.

YET !

I'm determined to get these acceptable from a distance (probably from the next room) and use them for something - draught animals perhaps with docked tails, which would otherwise get stuck in traces etc.  (Sorry, just thinking out loud.)

In the meantime I've been in contact with Rod Campbell at Highlander Studios and he's been kind enough to do a bulk deal on his gashants.  Salt of the Earth, that man!  I imagine I'll still have plenty clipping and filing to get the Black Hat riders to fit, but it will save me going through industrial quantities of green stuff.  And it's something to look forward to after my holidays.

Oh well, ever onwards and gashantwards!



* Talking of baggy trousers, Madness are doing a gig in Luxembourg in September!

2 comments:

J Womack, Esq. said...

I've never been a fan of the Black Hat Octasaurs as riding animals. Draft animals, fine, but something just not in love with them for riding beasties. Congrats on the gashant purchase, and please keep us up to date on the rider conversion process, as I am probably following down the same path later this year.

Clive G said...

I agree with you on the look. They are actually taken directly from "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", which has more than just a nod towards Barsoom. And that's all well and good, but it ain't Space: 1889. It's all about horses for courses (or "riding beasts" for courses, more accurately). I'd still like to work the giant martians into my collection somehow, and the large octosaurs look perfect for them, but that's a while in the future.

It will take a couple of months for my gashants to get to my painting table, but watch this space.